Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trim the Fat


Seriously...Trim the Fat!! Quitting my job to stay home meant that I had to get creative with my finances or we were going to sink fast. We had some money set aside, but not enough. Especially after the stove, furnace, washer, and dryer all needed replaced. (SURPRISE!) So I took the daunting task of sitting down with every receipt and every bill to see what we had going out each month vs what we had coming in. It was tight & there was no room for error (or appliances that kept breaking down). However, by the second month I was able to reduce our monthly out-going funds by almost $700…true story. Over time, I’ve gotten even better and have reduced that cost exponentially. All I did was make a few minor changes in how I shop and cook. The added benefit? Since quitting my job I have lost almost 30 lbs and my husband has lost around 20 lbs. We’re both at a healthy weight and he claims that he eats better now than ever.

First of all: Quit eating out. At a minimum, limit eating out to once a week. Eat at home and take a brown-bag lunch. We used to get take-out for supper at least 3 nights a week, we would get take-out for lunch at least 2 days a week and we would go to a nice sit-down restaurant at least once a week. I figured this up and we were spending around $20 a ticket for supper take-out, $10 a ticket for lunch and $35 a ticket for a nice dinner. We were spending at least $6240 a year to eat outside of the home (that’s over $500 a month!!!)…OUCH! 

Second: Change the way you shop. I do not have the time or interest in couponing, so don’t expect any great coupon tips from me. I just use common sense…and avoid “Big Chain, Everything Under One-Roof” type stores. Save money shop smart? I don’t think so... Hardcore Wal-Mart fans swear they can’t purchase their groceries and toiletries any cheaper elsewhere. I’m guessing they never looked. I’ve managed to shave an additional $200 a month off my grocery bill in part by avoiding Wal-Mart. 

Despite what the big convenience stores tell you, it really is o.k to make 2 stops: 1 for groceries and 1 for toiletries. Try to keep an ongoing list in your kitchen so you’re prepared on grocery day. You won’t have to constantly run to the local grocery store or gas-station for items. Make 2 grocery trips a month and try to get everything you need all at once. 

Here's my big secret: Aldi’s grocery store. It is a little-known gem. If you’re not familiar with Aldi’s, it is a discount bag-your-own grocery type store. There are similar stores such as Save-A-Lot. I guarantee your neighborhood has something similar. I also love that I use my “green bags” and reduce tons of waste annually in plastic bags. Now, stay with me…this isn’t the same Aldi’s that was around when we were kids. They’ve really stepped up their game to become competitive with the big boys while maintaining their fantastic savings. Their produce is far superior to anything I can find at Kroger or Wal-Mart. Their meat is always fresh and I have no complaints about any of their frozen or dry goods. Even the ice-cream and other “non-essentials” are excellent quality. 

Here is where it adds up: Most items are less than a dollar cheaper, and a lot of people say it’s not enough to matter. But don’t be fooled…it really is. I took a dual shopping trip for your benefit. Aldi vs Wal-Mart. This is only a partial grocery list, but I tried to cover all the basics. All of the Wal-Mart items were from their “Good Value” line. (generic store brand). My Aldi grocery total was $63.54 and Wal-Mart was $87.46. That’s a $23.92 difference…on a partial grocery list. For toiletries I shop at Big Lots. That store is chocked full of hidden treasure at low prices! 

Last: Change the way you cook. Try to avoid convenience foods. Tossing a frozen lasagna in the microwave, purchasing “spice kits” for pot roast, buying pre-made noodles, etc might seem like a good idea, but they are a huge waste of money. Think about how our grandmothers and great-grandmothers cooked. Everything was from scratch and all the left-overs were utilized. More times than not I can prepare a full, healthy wonderful meal for 4 people for under $5. (Not $5 a plate…for $5 total) You would be surprised how with just a little planning you can really make a dollar stretch. Bonus??? Avoiding over-processed foods will gradually slim your waistline without you even realizing it. 

Starting tomorrow I’m going to share Retro Recipes that are delicious and budget-friendly. If you have any special requests, let me know! Tomorrow we’re going to focus on creating your own “convenience foods”.




2 comments:

  1. Really like this post! I know I stopped buying french fries and instead have just been cutting up my own potatoes! Id like to see any retro recipes for quick-kid-friendly dinners. Very good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pastor, Thanks!! There will definitely be some kid-friendly retro recipes coming soon. We cut our own fries too. There is a very cool kitchen utensil called a "Fry Cutter" that will create perfectly sliced fries every time. (and will slice an entire potato at once) Just an fyi on home-made fries. They can end up very soft. If you want fries that are crispier on the outside, deep fry them. Remove from the heat & allow them to cool completely. Then deep-fry (or bake) them again.

    To make them more convenient, make your own frozen fries ahead of time. We make several lbs at a time. Flash fry the cut fries once and allow them to cool completely. Lay them out on a cookie sheet in a single layer & stick them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, put them in freezer-safe containers or freezer bags for future use. When you're ready to use them, just remove want you need & bake or deep-fry them.

    ReplyDelete