Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Laundry Can Wait...

Yesterday was a late-Winter Indiana day that felt more like early Spring. Even though bits of snow still dotted the landscape, the sun was brightly shining in the blue sky and the temperature was very mild.

After I picked up my 7 year old son from school, I still had a lot of things on my "to-do list". I had last minute things to tie up for an evening meeting, cookies to bake, supper to be prepared, two more loads of laundry, etc. SO, when my little boy asked me to take him to the park for a bike ride my first impulse was to say, "Not tonight, but maybe we'll go tomorrow." But before the sentence could leave my mouth, I realized this was a perfect opportunity to shut down, get some much-needed fresh air & focus on him. SO, responsibilities laid aside, we hopped on our dusty bicycles and went for a ride!



A simple bike ride taught me a few things about myself and my little one. For example, our park is beautiful and while I wanted to leisurely ride through it and enjoy the scenery, he was pedaling madly as though he was in the last 10 yards of an Olympic event! (THE ENTIRE RIDE) The melting snow has left a lot of slush and mud. As I was carefully avoiding anything that appeared even remotely wet, he was nailing every mud puddle as if they were worth bonus points! But most of all, his clear and sweet laughter was filling my ears. His sweet giggling as he raced against imaginary monsters was a happy reminder that the laundry can wait, but he will not.

Today is a typical late-Winter Indiana day. It's bitter cold, windy and the rain is pouring down. The sun is completely hidden and it's a perfect day for doing laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment